Chemelil Sugar Company is located along the Awasi-Nandi Hills road in Nyando District of Nyanza province, approximately 50 kms from Kisumu City.
It was established in 1965 as a private limited company and later became a parastatal in 1974.
When the Company was set up in 1965, it had two major objectives:
- To produce high quality mill white sugar as part of a national strategy for achieving self-sufficiency in food production; and
- To contribute towards the integrated national economic development within Western Kenya.
At that time, the Government adopted an import substitution strategy, which aimed at protection of local industry.
But changes in government’s business policy have necessitated the company to change and reflect a new corporate direction, with the principal objectives focusing on:
- Efficiency in Production and Service Delivery
- High Turnover and Returns to Shareholders
- Profit maximisation
- Stimulation of Economic Development
The above objectives are being pursued while paying close attention to issues of Environmental management guidelines, good corporate governance and gender rights.
This quality product with a tradition transcending over four decades is available in two varieties...
CHEMELIL Sugar Company factory operations have resumed after one of the most comprehensive plant rehabilitation exercise.
At Chemelil Sugar Company Limited we recognize that the key to our success is in our strategic use of human resources to meet organizational objectives.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Chemeli Sugar Company embraces various social obligations through an elaborate Corporate Social Responsibility Charter. The charter outlines the various interest areas